Monday, January 9, 2012

my chains are gone! part three.

(make sure you read parts one and two first!)

the man that opened the door was so awkward. he barely opened the door and peeked his head around a little. hunter mentioned that we were having a little party and wanted to invite him and his family. he then asked 'are you guys from a church or something?' and immediately i'm like welp, crap. we're out. that was fun while it lasted. thanks, Lord for really showing me those chains. that was pretty cool. assuming that because we were from a church he would want us to leave.

hunter told him yes, and he opened the door and invited us into his little home. i remember everything about it. i remember the way it smelled. i remember the couch was absolutely beautiful and totally random and out of place. i remember the train-clock hanging on the wall. i remember his vertical blinds and the green recliner in the middle of the room. i remember the look of absolute relief on that man's face just in the reality that we were in his home. the next few moments would shape me forever.

he told us he had been asking God to send someone like us. that he needed help, encouragement, and his family needed our prayers. and i'm beginning to think.. well, maybe it was more about me seeing those chains.. maybe there's something you want to do, Lord.. whatever you say- I'll do it... i repeated these things in my head as he spoke.

and then he began. he began to tell my story.

he told us that his brother-in-law and sister-in-law had been in a motorcycle accident a couple of days before. and that they were careflighted to the exact same hospital in dallas that my parents were careflighted to. and that they had kids. and the kids were scared. and that there was hope for the dad to make it out alive, but their mom was still in a coma.

he told me that. he told me my story. but it was his story. and it was Jesus' story. Jesus' story of radical redemption.

as he shared, i was could literally feel my insides shaking. i was sitting on the very edge of that overly-fancy couch- i could've slid right off. because of my ridiculous need to be detached from my story in college, my friends who were with me didn't realize the incredible parallel of this man's story with my own. so i whispered to hunter, 'hunter.. it's my story.. hunter.... he's telling my story!' as he spoke. i literally felt like the air was getting sucked out of me and that i was being filled with something heavier than air. something more real. something that lasts and that sustains. i literally felt it happening in those moments. i felt the Spirit of God enter this broken place in me and fill it with immeasurable peace that absolutely transcends understanding.

so i told him my story. and we shared our story. i told him the God of the universe showed me some chains and that led me to Him because my God gave me that story. the story that would give him just enough hope to be able to cling on for a little longer. the story that helped him feel alive, normal, and no longer defeated. i encouraged him and prayed for him. i told him that my God redeems and that my God heals. i told him that sometimes i ran from the reality and that in the end i found that all i really wanted was Jesus. i told him to run to Jesus and never to look back.

he was sweet and totally overwhelmed. he mentioned that he wanted his wife to come to the block party because he thought she needed to hear my story. it was her sister who was in the accident and she was having a lot of trouble with it. but there was one small problem. they were separated and hadn't been together in several months. he said the odds of her coming were almost non-existent, but we encouraged him to try. hunter stood with him as he called his wife. i had to leave.

i was in the very first part of the block party so i had to be there right away. i ran down the sidewalks literally having absolutely no idea where i was running. i've never felt so free in my life. the joy i felt was ridiculous and i just wanted to scream from the mountain tops that my God redeems! He's in every moment! my God just showed me some crazy chains so He could be known!!! i got to the group of people and didn't even know what to say. so i didn't. i just did my job and prayed. i prayed for that man, for his wife, and for their family. that they would let Jesus love on them and that He would hold them.

and only a few minutes later, i looked to my right, and there was my friend. with his wife.

she was totally broken. she needed someone, anyone, to tell her that there was hope to cling to. Jesus let me be that. He let me relate and speak truth into her heart that absolutely no other person could do.

there were too many miracles that happened that night. in me, in them, in their marriage, in their family, in my family, in my heart.. the blessings were overflowing. that evening changed me forever. my story took a shift from a story that happened to me to Jesus' story to bring redemption to His people. it changed from a story of tragedy, grief, weight, burden, and pain to a testimony of redemption, grace, hope, fruit, and blessing. His purposes remain. He makes all things work together for the good of those who love Him. He is good and He will be good for all of eternity.


i never spoke to those people again. but i think about them and i pray for their hearts. when i think about them, i take a deep breath of grace in and remember the few moments i had with them and how tangible the presence of God was in those moments. i pray they've had multitudes of those moments since then.

and that one day, they'll see their own chains too.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS ALL! Yes I read all three posts :-) I saw them and thought O I know her story :-) But still I read them and still is was wonderful! God is good and you are sweet and he loves you!

    Sidenote: you are seriously a really good writer..I mean you are always good with words when you speak too, duh! Remember how much you make me cry during encouragement circles :-) ANYWAYS CONSIDER THIS GIFT AND WHAT THE LORD WANTS YOU TO DO WITH IT!

    love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl :) I know you don't know me or at least probably not. I went to Hardin Simmons for a year and a half before transferring, i remember seeing you but don't know if we ever met. Anyways i spent like the last hour reading through your blog after stumbling upon it from a mutual friend. Let me say it has blessed me incredibly. The post where you talked about a renewed vision, i am just starting my teaching career and needed that. There were so many things that just reminded me this is God's life in me, i'm here for Him. So thank you for you heart in sharing!

    ReplyDelete